Re: retrieving keys from a GIN index on a tsvector column in Postgres 9.1? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: retrieving keys from a GIN index on a tsvector column in Postgres 9.1?
Date
List pgsql-general
Chris Esposito <chris.esposito@gmail.com> writes:
>     I've got a collection of documents that I'd like to do some full text
> searching on in Postgres 9.1, so adding them as the contents of a tsvector
> and then creating a GIN index on this column seems straightforward enough.
> My understanding of the GIN index is that the keys used are (depedning on
> the text search configuration used) either the list of original words or
> their normalized lexemes from the collection of original documents.

If you're storing a tsvector column, it already has done all the text
processing involved --- I don't believe GIN is adding anything, it's
just indexing the elements of the tsvector.

            regards, tom lane