oracle_fdw - Mailing list pgsql-general

From hartrc
Subject oracle_fdw
Date
List pgsql-general
Environment: PostgreSQL 9.1.6
SLES 11 SP2
Oracle_fdw 0.9.7

I am trying to implement the use of oracle_fdw.
So far I have installed an oracle client on my postgres server. I can
connect to the oracle environment from the postgres server (as postgres os
user) by navigating to $ORACLE_HOME/bin then ./sqlplus /nolog

then:
connect user@instance

I have downloaded and run make and make install for the oracle_fdw - both
executed successfully. I have created the extension successfully. I have
created a foreign server, foreign data wrapper and a foreign table.

When i try a select from the foreign table I get:

ERROR:  error connecting to Oracle: OCIEnvCreate failed to create
environment handle
DETAIL:

ERROR: error connecting to Oracle: OCIEnvCreate failed to create environment
handle
SQL state: HV00N

from what limited info i can find this is most likely due to my ORACLE_HOME
environment variable or other environment setting? I have set ORACLE_HOME in
postgres user .bash_profile

Where should i set ORACLE_HOME and TNS_ADMIN environment variables? Is there
something else I am missing? Does the database require to be restarted
following any changes to environment variables?

Thank you
Rob