Re: oracle_fdw - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Albe Laurenz
Subject Re: oracle_fdw
Date
List pgsql-general
[I'll CC the oracle_fdw mailing list where this should be.]

Rob wrote:
> Environment: PostgreSQL 9.1.6
> SLES 11 SP2
> Oracle_fdw 0.9.7
>
> I am trying to implement the use of oracle_fdw.
> So far I have installed an oracle client on my postgres server. I can
> connect to the oracle environment from the postgres server (as
postgres os
> user) by navigating to $ORACLE_HOME/bin then ./sqlplus /nolog
>
> then:
> connect user@instance
>

> I have downloaded and run make and make install for the oracle_fdw -
both
> executed successfully. I have created the extension successfully. I
have
> created a foreign server, foreign data wrapper and a foreign table.
>
> When i try a select from the foreign table I get:
>
> ERROR:  error connecting to Oracle: OCIEnvCreate failed to create
> environment handle
> DETAIL:
>
> ERROR: error connecting to Oracle: OCIEnvCreate failed to create
environment
> handle
> SQL state: HV00N
>

> from what limited info i can find this is most likely due to my
ORACLE_HOME
> environment variable or other environment setting? I have set
ORACLE_HOME in
> postgres user .bash_profile
>
> Where should i set ORACLE_HOME and TNS_ADMIN environment variables? Is
there
> something else I am missing? Does the database require to be restarted
> following any changes to environment variables?

I'd like to know some details about your Oracle installation:
- Which product (Oracle server, Oracle client, Oracle Instant Client,
...)?
- How was Oracle installed (OUI, RPM, zip)?
- Which Oracle version?

Also, can you tell me the "dbserver" option you used in CREATE SERVER?

Now to your problem:

If you can create the extension, the Oracle shared library can be
loaded,
so your library path is fine.

That error is unfortunately a rather generic error that usually means
that something in your environment isn't right.

That may be ORACLE_HOME (if you don't use Instant Client), but could
also be some more obscure environment variable.

Can you send me the environment of the postmaster?
Here's how to get it:

In PostgreSQL:
SELECT pg_backend_pid();
(Let's assume the result is 12345.)