Re: Paging Through Query Result Sets - Mailing list psycopg

From Joe Abbate
Subject Re: Paging Through Query Result Sets
Date
List psycopg
Hello Don,

On 19/04/13 18:38, Don Parris wrote:
> I would like to be able to page through a result set when there is more
> than one screenful of data.  Is there a good example of paging through a
> query result set in Bash - something like implementing the less
> command?  Even if I can't scroll backwards through the result set, at
> least being able to control the paging forward would be good.

In web applications, paging is usually done by using PG's LIMIT and
OFFSET.  So if you're displaying the third page of 200 rows 30 rows at a
time, your SELECT would end with LIMIT 30 OFFSET 90.

If I may toot my horn, I've implemented this logic in Pyrseas.  If
you're interested see the subset method in:

https://github.com/jmafc/Pyrseas/blob/master/pyrseas/relation/join.py

Regards,

Joe