Re: The case for version number inflation - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: The case for version number inflation
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 02/27/2013 04:48 PM, Selena Deckelmann wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com
> <mailto:josh@agliodbs.com>> wrote:
>

>     And you're probably aware of the issue with Amazon Linux, where they
>     don't distinguish between version 9.1 and 9.2 and thus corrupt people's
>     databases.

How is this even possible? PG_VERSION is very clear about what version
is actually running. If Amazon does that, I have a feeling we aren't
doing what we are supposed to do and refusing to start on a mismatched
version.

> This seems like a case to be made for Postgres to respond more elegantly
> to this situation, possibly by converting blocks on the fly to the newer
> version of the database for writes and being ok with reading previous
> versions of blocks, or simply not writing data to the filesystem when
> the versions don't match.

See above.

> I'll not weigh in on the version number inflation. Seems like a lot of
> epic bikeshedding.

Maybe, and probably considering it comes up every few releases since
1997. :P

JD

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579