Re: The case for version number inflation - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: The case for version number inflation
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
* Joshua D. Drake (jd@commandprompt.com) wrote:
> On 02/27/2013 04:48 PM, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> >On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com
> ><mailto:josh@agliodbs.com>> wrote:
> >    And you're probably aware of the issue with Amazon Linux, where they
> >    don't distinguish between version 9.1 and 9.2 and thus corrupt people's
> >    databases.
>
> How is this even possible? PG_VERSION is very clear about what
> version is actually running. If Amazon does that, I have a feeling
> we aren't doing what we are supposed to do and refusing to start on
> a mismatched version.

I'm guessing it's not actually possible like that- but to an end user
who gets some cryptic error message about PG_VERSION mismatches (or
worse, just some "DB failed to start error), it may amount to the same
thing in their mind.

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Attachment