Re: PG 8.4 to 9.2 upgrade issues with ownership of large objects - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Wall
Subject Re: PG 8.4 to 9.2 upgrade issues with ownership of large objects
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/16/2012 6:21 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> David Wall <d.wall@computer.org> writes:
>> On 12/16/2012 11:22 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Large objects didn't have privileges, nor owners, in 8.4.  If you don't
>>> feel like fixing your apps right now, you can return to the previous
>>> behavior by setting the obscurely-named lo_compat_privileges setting in
>>> postgresql.conf.
>> I am using the latest JDBC driver and have not noted any other issues
>> with large objects accessed, created or deleted using the blob
>> interfaces.  What does fixing an app mean or entail?  We've always
>> accessed large objects as a simple blob stored and referenced in a table
>> as an OID with both having the same lifetime.
> It would only be an issue if you created large objects under one role
> and then tried to access them under another, since the default
> permissions would forbid that.  I assumed since you were complaining
> that you'd run into something of the sort ...
>
>             regards, tom lane

Okay, that's good.  I suspect the JDBC library is taking care of this,
but I'll check with them. I think our issue was just on the restore of
the backup from 8.4 which had no owner/permissions and the restore into
9.2 in which they were assigned.  Our apps all use a more limited role
than what the db admin uses, and I guess that's when it first appeared.
We do reset all of the GRANTs for tables for the application role, but I
guess that doesn't make it down to the large objects.  I'll read up more
on permissions as they relate large objects.

Thanks again for all your help, Tom.

David