Re: PG 8.4 to 9.2 upgrade issues with ownership of large objects - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PG 8.4 to 9.2 upgrade issues with ownership of large objects
Date
List pgsql-general
David Wall <d.wall@computer.org> writes:
> On 12/16/2012 11:22 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Large objects didn't have privileges, nor owners, in 8.4.  If you don't
>> feel like fixing your apps right now, you can return to the previous
>> behavior by setting the obscurely-named lo_compat_privileges setting in
>> postgresql.conf.

> I am using the latest JDBC driver and have not noted any other issues
> with large objects accessed, created or deleted using the blob
> interfaces.  What does fixing an app mean or entail?  We've always
> accessed large objects as a simple blob stored and referenced in a table
> as an OID with both having the same lifetime.

It would only be an issue if you created large objects under one role
and then tried to access them under another, since the default
permissions would forbid that.  I assumed since you were complaining
that you'd run into something of the sort ...

            regards, tom lane