Re: Rough estimate of number of downloads per year/month/day? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Rough estimate of number of downloads per year/month/day?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
> I agree with that but this argument applies to mysql too. So the trends
> seem relevant to me if you want to compare mysql and postgres. Unless if
> you assume that mysql users are more likely to opt-in than psql users,
> but I can't see no evidence of that.

Actually, there's a different bias here.  Many, if not most, people who
install Postgres on Debian get it from other sources because the version
of Debian is old.  Whereas people are more likely to install MySQL 5.1
and leave it alone, since Debian users are unlikely to be onboard with
the Oracle releases.

However, it is interesting that the number of MySQL installs on Debian
is still growing  ... says that the demise of MySQL may be premature.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.