Re: Rough estimate of number of downloads per year/month/day? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From damien clochard
Subject Re: Rough estimate of number of downloads per year/month/day?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy

http://qa.debian.org/popcon-graph.php?packages=postgresql-8.4+postgresql-9.0+postgresql-9.1+postgresql-9.2&show_installed=on&want_legend=on&want_ticks=on&from_date=2007-07-01&to_date=&hlght_date=&date_fmt=%25Y-%25m&beenhere=1

>> I should have thought about it earlier... The numbers are pretty low and
>> they're quite debian-specific (8.4 is dominant because of Squeeze). but
>> my guess is that the trends may be the same for other distributions. I
>> don't know if there's similar stats for other distributions, if you have
>> similar links for Ubuntu, Arch or CentOS please share :)
>
> I'd say they're quite useless. AFAIK it requires specific opt-in. And
> as an example, while we have many clients who run PostgreSQL on
> Debian, I'm pretty sure not a single one is counted there. And I think
> looking at the trend is wrong too - because the more installations you
> get in large companies etc, the less likely are they to opt-in.

I agree with that but this argument applies to mysql too. So the trends
seem relevant to me if you want to compare mysql and postgres. Unless if
you assume that mysql users are more likely to opt-in than psql users,
but I can't see no evidence of that.