Re: Relocatable installs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Relocatable installs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
It's rumoured that Marc Slemko once said:
>> > For Windows, replace config file with "Registry". That is usually
>> > hardcoded for (depending on whether you want it changeable per-user)
>> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\<company name>\<product name> (replace
>> > HKLM with HKEY_LOCAL_USER if you want per-user config).
>>
>> Doesn't registry require admin privilege on the Windows box?
>
> Not if it is in the per user part as Shachar suggested.

Which is a problem in it's own right anyway. To properly write events to
the event log we need to register PostgreSQL as an event source and
specify a message DLL to use. As Magnus & I discussed the other day, in
our case we probably just want a single message of %s in the dll to allow
PostgreSQL to log anything it wants cleanly.
Anyway, the point is that to do that you need to write to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\<Appname>
(off the top of my head) otherwise, the messages logged in the event log
are pretty unreadable. Service installation will also require admin
privileges.
Regards, Dave