Re: Adding MERGE to the TODO list (resend with subject) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: Adding MERGE to the TODO list (resend with subject)
Date
Re: Adding MERGE to the TODO list (resend with subject)  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
>>Except you can keep trying and trying without the outermost transaction
>>failing.
>
> But that won't provide the necessary next key locking you mentioned in
> your first email, will it?

No, but since I can loop an infinite number of times until either the
update or insert works, I don't need next key locking.

BTW, the reference in MySQL:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/REPLACE.html

Hmm...no refernce to next key locking. Maybe that's an Innodb thing...

Anyway, you can see how they've implemented their algorithm.

Here is docs on the DB2 merge command from which the standard was derived:

http://databasejournal.com/features/db2/article.php/10896_3322041_2

Chris