Re: Relocatable installs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shachar Shemesh
Subject Re: Relocatable installs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dave Page wrote:

>Anyway, the point is that to do that you need to write to
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\EventLog\<Appname>
>(off the top of my head) otherwise, the messages logged in the event log
>are pretty unreadable. Service installation will also require admin
>privileges.
>Regards, Dave

I don't think that's a problem at all:
1. Believe it or not, you can write to HKEY_CURRENT_USER even if you are
an admin! New and improved..... In fact, if you don't mind messing with
the "load hive" interfaces, you can even write to someone else's HKCU if
you are admin. It makes installs more complicated, but see 2 for why
this will not be necessary.
2. Original suggestion talked about looking up at HKCU, and then (if not
found) at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
3. I doubt the same machine will require BOTH service and per-user
installation
         Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh