Re: Relocatable installs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dave Page
Subject Re: Relocatable installs
Date
List pgsql-hackers

I think you're missing what I was saying. To properly write to the event
log without getting messages like:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( btwdins ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote
computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
description; see Help and Support for details. The following information
is part of the event: Service started.

you need to register an event source with a message dll under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. HKCU is not an option. This is not part of the
relocatable install issue I grant you - the mention of HKLM permissions
just made me think of it...

> 2. Original suggestion talked about looking up at HKCU, and
> then (if not
> found) at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

Yes, that's fine for the relocatable install issues.

> 3. I doubt the same machine will require BOTH service and
> per-user installation

No, but either may want to use the event log.

Regards, Dave.