Re: Relocatable installs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Relocatable installs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Shachar Shemesh said:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>>Comments?
>>

> What's wrong with the way it's done by everybody else?
>
> Have hardcoded paths (determined at configure time), and allow override
>  using a config file. Have a command line option for saying where the
> config file should be.
>
> For Windows, replace config file with "Registry". That is usually
> hardcoded for (depending on whether you want it changeable per-user)
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\<company name>\<product name> (replace HKLM
>  with HKEY_LOCAL_USER if you want per-user config).

IMNSHO this would not buy anything but would provide you with an extra
capacity for shooting yourself in the foot. Using what we have discussed
up to now this would be completely unnecessary - you could just move the
installation and it would work (modulo any necessary changes in
LD_LIBRARY_PATH ,PATH etc).

Perhaps you have not followed the discussion about this issue over the
last months, but a good part of it revolved around avoiding the very
dependencies you are suggesting.

"What everybody else does" doesn't carry much weight on its own with me.

cheers

andrew