Re: Buglist - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lincoln Yeoh
Subject Re: Buglist
Date
List pgsql-general
At 03:56 PM 8/19/2003 +0200, Bo Lorentsen wrote:

>On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 15:45, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
>
> > Well, if you have some time and hardware to play around, I am sure we can
> > easily test them side by side.
>Interresting project, is this allowed :-)
>
> > Interested? This could take couple of weeks taking things to real world
> > workloads but could provide some insight to community.
>Yeps, but this is not the propper time, and I am not sure if I have the
>knowledge what it takes.

Install an application that can use both DBs. Muck around with it. If you
can't tell the difference, then I'd say go with postgresql - transactions
isn't bolted on, quite a number of other design wins too. If you can tell
the difference and MySQL is better, many of us here would be interested to
know.

> > If you have mysql 4.x and postgresql 7.4beta installed, you can easily
> setup
> > these things..
>Yeps, but how to test ? And how do one test stability :-)

Do lots of concurrent updates and inserts and selects for a long time?

While you are testing and have no critical data you can do stuff like
pressing the reset button midway during a transaction, or have someone trip
over the power cord. Someone on this list was doing stuff like that to
Postgresql and he said it did pretty well.

I'm not saying postgresql will save you from that, but that's one way to
learn how fault tolerant a product is before the uncontrollable faults
appear. So far there have been quite a number of people with flaky RAM or
hardware and a large percentage of them don't seem to have lost much data
(well it's hard to be 100% sure ;) ).

Have fun!
Link.