Re: db "hot switch" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andreas Rust
Subject Re: db "hot switch"
Date
List pgsql-general
At 12:39 14.02.03, you wrote:
>         Hi all,
>
>         I want to actualize my postgresql version stopping the server
>the minimum time possible. I was thinking in turn the database to
>read-only state (selects will work normally), make a dump, restore the
>dump in the new installation and stop the server only the time needed to
>stop old postmaster and load the new one. The problem is that i don't
>know how to set readonly state. In mysql for example i left only select
>privilege on all users (first i backup users), but in pgsql i can't
>revoke or grant privileges to all users on *all databases* easily and i
>don't know how to backup only users without a pg_dumpall.
>
>         ¿Any suggestions? Thnx in advance

I recommend you compile your new postgres version with a different prefix path,
run the newly compiled postmaster on a port other than 5432 or even only
locally.
(with a different socket).

Whenever you got the new postmaster up and running just restore the dump you
create from your original postgres (do that dump after you saw your new
postmaster is running fine).
As soon as your postgres restore is complete, take down the old postmaster
and run the new one.

l8r

     Andreas Rust     -   webnova GmbH
     rust@webnova.de  -   www.webnova.de