Re: Path to PostgreSQL portabiliy - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lincoln Yeoh
Subject Re: Path to PostgreSQL portabiliy
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Who really is your target "market" on the windows platform? Microsoft
Access users (many)? MySQL users(insignificant?)? MSSQL (many)?

Assuming that the postgresql team isn't getting lots of money or resources
to do it. I don't see why you would want to invest a lot to support windows
from a long term point of view. Windows can be a costly platform to support.

Because if you become a serious threat, Microsoft can rip the rug from
beneath you any chance they get. Also Microsoft WILL always change their
APIs. They're not stupid. If Microsoft freezes their APIs they will end up
like "yet another BIOS manufacturer", and bye bye profit margins. Microsoft
will strive to keep it a proprietary AND changing API.

Windows is rather different operationally. Automating vacuum etc on windows
is going to be different. Starting postgresql as a service is going to be
different as well. Same for uninstalling. So support requests are going to
be different.

If your target market is consumer - Windows consumer users also have
different expectations. Most will want nicer GUIs (those that don't care
won't mind running Postgresql elsewhere).

BTW if your target market is a bit higher end - typically those that "must
use" windows also "must use" MSSQL/Oracle/etc. You will thus have to build
brand recognition for Postgresql on Windows.

All this will cost you.

That said, is it easier to support only Windows NT/2000 and forget about
Win9x? The bigger dbs don't support win9x either (how does Oracle/DB2
support NT? They seem to work ok). Leave MySQL to the Win9x people ;). BTW
does MySQL really perform OK on Win9x?

Forget the Cygwin approach. Is there really a market for that? Unless
things have got a lot easier, installing Cygwin is like installing a new
O/S just to install your app. And installing and learning a new system has
got to be one of the major barriers, otherwise people will either buy a new
USD500 1.5+ GHz pc or use VMware+BSD/Linux+Postgresql ;).

Cheerio,
Link.