Re: How much work is a native Windows application? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Karel Zak
Subject Re: How much work is a native Windows application?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, May 07, 2002 at 01:16:01PM -0400, mlw wrote:
> I mentioned in another thread, Windows does not support "fork()."  PostgreSQL
> seems irrevocably tied to using fork(). Without a drastic rewrite of how
> postmaster works, I don't see a way to make a pure Windows version.
I watch this discussion and only one question is still in my head:how much people use Windows for server side part of
stableapplication based Oracle or DB2? Why my employer spend a lot of money withSGI cluster + IRIX?

_IMHO_ if you want support Windows, please, write good tools for admins, DB designers and developers (forms?). The
serveris really not a problem if you think about real DB application. There is more important things in ourTODO than
supportGUI-OS for server running... (IMHO:-)   Karel

-- Karel Zak  <zakkr@zf.jcu.cz>http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/C, PostgreSQL, PHP, WWW, http://docs.linux.cz,
http://mape.jcu.cz