Re: badly calculated width of emoji in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jacob Champion
Subject Re: badly calculated width of emoji in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2021-08-12 at 17:13 -0400, John Naylor wrote:
> The patch looks pretty good to me. I just have a stylistic suggestion
> which I've attached as a text file.

Getting rid of the "clever addition" looks much better to me, thanks. I
haven't verified the changes to the doc comment, but your description
seems reasonable.

> I'm a bit concerned about the build dependencies not working right,
> but it's not clear it's even due to the patch. I'll spend some time
> investigating next week.

If I vandalize src/common/wchar.c on HEAD, say by deleting the contents
of pg_wchar_table, and then run `make install`, then libpq doesn't get
rebuilt and there's no effect on the frontend. The postgres executable
does get rebuilt for the backend.

It looks like src/interfaces/libpq/Makefile doesn't have a dependency
on libpgcommon (or libpgport, for that matter). For comparison,
src/backend/Makefile has this:

    OBJS = \
        $(LOCALOBJS) \
        $(SUBDIROBJS) \
        $(top_builddir)/src/common/libpgcommon_srv.a \
        $(top_builddir)/src/port/libpgport_srv.a

So I think that's a bug that needs to be fixed independently, whether
this patch goes in or not.

--Jacob