Another RAID controller recommendation question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Boreham
Subject Another RAID controller recommendation question
Date
List pgsql-general
We're looking to deploy a bunch of new machines.
Our DB is fairly small and write-intensive. Most of the disk
traffic is PG WAL. Historically we've avoided
RAID controllers for various reasons, but this new deployment will be
done with them (also for various reasons ;)

We like to use white-boxish machines and we run CentOS. This would be
a good example of the kind of machine we'd buy:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101339
manufacturer page :
http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/6016/SYS-6016T-URF4_.cfm?UIO=N
these boxes have a proprietary controller slot, with these cards:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/UIO.cfm#Adapters
specifically this LSI-based one which seems to be the newest/fastest,
with BBWBC:
http://www.supermicro.com/products/accessories/addon/AOC-USAS2LP-H8iR.cfm

I'd be interested to hear any options good or bad on these controllers,
or ideas for
alternatives. These machines are operated in a lights-out mode, and
will handle heavy constant load (hundreds of write txn/s) with 15K SAS
drives
in a RAID-1 setup (2 drives, or 2 + 2 with data and WAL split between
spindle groups).

Thanks!