Re: ncoding "Table Name" and "Filed Name" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Vikram A
Subject Re: ncoding "Table Name" and "Filed Name"
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Mr. David,

Thanks for the comment. I understood, its more difficult to mange the schema; when schema itself written in jig jack.
Vikram

From: David Johnston <polobo@yahoo.com>
To: 'Vikram A' <vikkiatbipl@yahoo.in>
Cc: pgsql-general@postgresql.org
Sent: Friday, 17 June 2011 7:00 PM
Subject: RE: [GENERAL] ncoding "Table Name" and "Filed Name"

We are expecting following advantages through this,
Unauthorized use either by the
1. DB administrator
2. ex-developer Or
3. Any body

This why PostgreSQL has the concept of “ROLE”s…

The data, not the schema, is what needs to be secured…you are not preventing unauthorized use only making both it and authorized use more difficult.  It isn’t that hard to get the database to tell you all the table and field names then it is just a matter of issuing a “SELECT * FROM ….” to see/retrieve the data.

A rose is a rose by any other name…

For the people you do trust you are making them jump through lots of hoops in order to work with the schema.

David J.