Re: Why not install pgstattuple by default? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Smith
Subject Re: Why not install pgstattuple by default?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On fre, 2011-05-06 at 14:32 -0400, Greg Smith wrote:
>
>> Given the other improvements in being able to build extensions in 9.1,
>> we really should push packagers to move pg_config from the PostgreSQL
>> development package into the main one starting in that version.  I've
>> gotten bit by this plenty of times.
>>
> Do you need pg_config to install extensions?

No, but you still need it to build them.  PGXN is a source code
distribution method, not a binary one.  It presumes users can build
modules they download using PGXS.  No pg_config, no working PGXS, no
working PGXN.  For such a small binary to ripple out to that impact is bad.

The repmgr program we distribute has the same problem, so I've been
getting first-hand reports of just how many people are likely to run
into this recently.  You have to install postgresql-devel with RPM and
on Debian, the very non-obvious postgresql-server-dev-$version

Anyway, didn't want to hijack this thread beyond pointing out that if
there any package reshuffling that happens for contrib changes, it
should check for and resolve this problem too.