Re: (Better) support for cross compiled external modules - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: (Better) support for cross compiled external modules
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On mån, 2011-05-02 at 14:41 +0000, Johann 'Myrkraverk' Oskarsson wrote:
> Is it possible to add support for cross compiled PGXS modules to the
> build system?
>
> That is, when PG is cross compiled, a <host-triplet>-pg_config is
> also built for use with external modules?
>
> I'm not adverse to submit a patch for this myself, but would like a
> pointer in the general direction for it.

It's not clear to me how this would fit into the build system.  The
cross-compiled PostgreSQL build will be installed on the host system,
whereas <host-triplet>-pg_config will remain on the build system.  But
we have no way of installing some bits here and some bits there.  Then
again, installing a pg_config on the host system that contains
information for building on the original build system is wrong anyway.

One thing you could do is always install <host-triplet>-pg_config when
cross-compiling, and then have your surrounding package mechanism figure
out what to install where.  Possibly make pg_config a symlink to the
above.