Re: pg_upgrade's bindir options could be optional - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: pg_upgrade's bindir options could be optional
Date
Re: pg_upgrade's bindir options could be optional  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On lör, 2011-05-07 at 13:33 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Another
> interesting approach would be to assume the /bin directory is ../bin
> from the data directory.  That would work for some installs,
> particularly for people moving things around, but again, it is worth
> trying to default something that isn't going to be 100% right?

In practice, there are the two main camps of parallel installation and
move old installation out of the way.  They are probably both pretty big
(Debias camp 1, Red Hat is camp 2, for a start).  So it would be worth
doing something to help one camp or the other.

On that other hand, we don't have any data on how many people have the
bindir at ../bin from the data directory, or whether it would be the old
or the new bindir.