Re: Prefered Types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Зотов Роман
Subject Re: Prefered Types
Date
List pgsql-hackers
04.05.2011 0:00, Alvaro Herrera пишет:
> Excerpts from Зотов Роман's message of mar may 03 16:31:31 -0300 2011:
>
>> but here we can see problem like
>> F(smallint)
>> F(integer)
>> but call like F(float)
>> i wouldn`t like to fail it.
> I think this particular example would be a mistake, because that cast
> would be lossy, so you want to invoke it only when the user explicitely
> selects it.  The other way around would be fine, I think, that is,
> F(float)
> F(float8)
> and the call is F(int)
As i think i not must write function with Float, String, and many other
arg when my function have INT arg... and if caller wouln`t think about
types he cant use your strong types
why it not must work like as assignment??? why implicit and assignment
is different???
I know only implicit and explicit casts and i think imlicit=asssign

>> PS This patch needet, because in any case we must calc prefer more
>> smartly, yes this patch is 1/10 of full solution, but it`s first step!!!
> Well, if the other 9/10 were clear, there would be no discussion.  The
> problem is that the missing bits have not been designed and thus we
> don't know if this 1/10 will be useful to them.  We need to find a
> complete design before committing to any initial portion which may turn
> out to be bogus down the road.

Yes, but while you think what update table1 set IntField = FloatField is
valid
but Select FuncWithIntArg(FloatArg) is not valid
you have no problems in current solution, because it works same :)

--
С уважением,
Зотов Роман Владимирович