Re: Prefered Types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Prefered Types
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Excerpts from Зотов Роман's message of mar may 03 16:31:31 -0300 2011:

> but here we can see problem like
> F(smallint)
> F(integer)
> but call like F(float)
> i wouldn`t like to fail it.

I think this particular example would be a mistake, because that cast
would be lossy, so you want to invoke it only when the user explicitely
selects it.  The other way around would be fine, I think, that is,
F(float)
F(float8)
and the call is F(int)

> PS This patch needet, because in any case we must calc prefer more
> smartly, yes this patch is 1/10 of full solution, but it`s first step!!!

Well, if the other 9/10 were clear, there would be no discussion.  The
problem is that the missing bits have not been designed and thus we
don't know if this 1/10 will be useful to them.  We need to find a
complete design before committing to any initial portion which may turn
out to be bogus down the road.