Re: Major features for 9.1 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Major features for 9.1
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Andrew Lardinois <lardinois@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have not found  "A concurrency control algorithm using
> serialization graph testing with write deferring" yet, but I did
> run into two other articles on the IPSJ site relating to
> serialization:
>
> http://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/ipsjdc/2/0/2_759/_article

On a quick skim I don't think this is related to serializable
database transactions.  It might be useful for PostgreSQL in terms
of more efficient lightweight locks within the server memory space,
but that's an internal implementation issue, not anything which is
user-visible beyond its performance characteristics.  I'll give it a
closer read when I get a chance.

> the second of which is regarding bus serialization, so may not
> relate to databases specifically

Probably not.  This is getting really close to the metal, and
because of portability concerns PostgreSQL doesn't have a lot of
that.

-Kevin