Re: Major features for 9.1 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andrew Lardinois
Subject Re: Major features for 9.1
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
I could go on finding random articles with some content about serialization all night. Instead I had a peek at what some other databases have to say about serialization / SSI:
SEARCHING MYSQL.COM ORACLE.COM COUCHDB
SSI                        X 60 X
SERIALIZATION                X lots 3
UPSERT                X lots X

http://labs.oracle.com/techrep/1996/smli_tr-96-57.pdf#search="SSI" see page 2, but this paper is titled
"Solaris MC File System Framework" which makes me think it is operating system specific.

Regarding oracle on serialization, search results seem to be about specific products, i.e. Oracle Pedigree, or just object oriented serialization. Not database transactions specifically.

NoSQL...
There is a 'load a serialized object in hadoop' thread in hadoop

There is also an apache project called avro which is 'a data serialization system'
This does not seem to be a database specifically, but avro joined apache in 2009, so presumably has been around for pior to that.
It is worth noting that avro is built with JSON.

Seems like the the most confusion about serialization in the database would come from Amazon, the cloud, and Amazon's simpledb in particular.
There is documentation that uses serialization:
"Policy -- the JSON serialization of the topic's access control policy" at:

Should note too that the couchdb project uses native JSON serialization.

It is surprising how much JSON "an ideal data-interchange language" (from json.org) turns up in other database technologies.
This sounds a lot more like XML to me than how relational database store and manage data.

Valorizing knowledge capital,
Andrew Lardinois