error messages during restore - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Geoffrey Myers
Subject error messages during restore
Date
List pgsql-general
So we are in the process of converting our databases from SQL_ASCII to
UTF8.  If a particular row won't import because of the encoding issue we
get an error like:

pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error from TOC entry 5317; 0 1266711 TABLE
DATA logs postgres
pg_restore: [archiver (db)] COPY failed: ERROR:  invalid byte sequence
for encoding "UTF8": 0x90
HINT:  This error can also happen if the byte sequence does not match
the encoding expected by the server, which is controlled by
"client_encoding".
CONTEXT:  COPY logs, line 590744

So as far as I can tell, this identifies the table by name, logs in this
case, and then identifies the actula record by line.

Question is, it would be really nice if we could figure out the actual
column name in that table.  Noting that I do get a line number that
produced the error, but the fact that this is a binary dump makes it
difficult to view that line.

Is there a way to view that data line without converting this dump to a
text dump?

All I'd like to do is know which column in the table caused the problem
so I could apply my fix to that particular column.

--
Until later, Geoffrey

the pretense of taking care of them."
- Thomas Jefferson