Re: Primary key vs unique index - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Primary key vs unique index
Date
List pgsql-general
Autovacuum is generally more effective as it can run when it needs to
not having to wait til the end of the day.  If you delete big chunks
several times a day autovac can keep up.  Also, it's enabled by
default in 8.4 and up so the end user would have to actively turn it
off in this instance.

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 6:21 AM, Voils, Steven M <steve@sensorswitch.com> wrote:
> Our application supports pg 8.4 onwards.  The vacuums are run automatically by the application rather than requiring
endusers to enable autovacuum; the vacuums being performed are regular.

whichI thought was the cause of the bloat.  We are already performing automatic vacuums nightly.