Re: error messages during restore - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: error messages during restore
Date
List pgsql-general
Geoffrey Myers <lists@serioustechnology.com> writes:
> So we are in the process of converting our databases from SQL_ASCII to
> UTF8.  If a particular row won't import because of the encoding issue we
> get an error like:

> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] Error from TOC entry 5317; 0 1266711 TABLE
> DATA logs postgres
> pg_restore: [archiver (db)] COPY failed: ERROR:  invalid byte sequence
> for encoding "UTF8": 0x90
> HINT:  This error can also happen if the byte sequence does not match
> the encoding expected by the server, which is controlled by
> "client_encoding".
> CONTEXT:  COPY logs, line 590744

> Question is, it would be really nice if we could figure out the actual
> column name in that table.

Sorry, no chance of that.  The line is converted to server encoding
before any attempt is made to split it into columns.  Since the column
delimiter is potentially encoding-specific, there's not really any
alternative to doing it that way.

            regards, tom lane