Multithreaded query onto 4 postgresql instances - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alessandro Candini
Subject Multithreaded query onto 4 postgresql instances
Date
Re: Multithreaded query onto 4 postgresql instances  (Alban Hertroys <dalroi@solfertje.student.utwente.nl>)
List pgsql-general
Here you are my probably uncommon situation.

I have installed 4 different instances of postgresql-9.0.2 on the same
machine, on ports 5433, 5434, 5435, 5436.
On these instances I have splitted a huge database, dividing it per date
(from 1995 to 1998 on 5433, from 1999 to 2002 on 5434 and so on...).
Then I have developed a C function using libpq which creates 4 threads,
each one which query a 1/4 of the db. After that I merge the results in
one single response.

My function works fine, but I need to include it inside a postgresql
instance in order to launch it as a normal SQL query (SELECT myfunc(...);).
Why I have to do something tricky like this is long too explain...

I have read the documentation here
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/xfunc-sql.html#XFUNC-SQL-FUNCTIONS-RETURNING-SET,
but I'm pretty confuse and I don't know if this is the right way to
accomplish my goal.

Have you got any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

--
Alessandro Candini

MEEO S.r.l.
Via Saragat 9
I-44122 Ferrara, Italy
Tel: +39 0532 1861501
Fax: +39 0532 1861637
http://www.meeo.it

"ATTENZIONE:le informazioni contenute in questo messaggio sono
da considerarsi confidenziali ed il loro utilizzo è riservato unicamente
al destinatario sopra indicato. Chi dovesse ricevere questo messaggio
per errore è tenuto ad informare il mittente ed a rimuoverlo
definitivamente da ogni supporto elettronico o cartaceo."

"WARNING:This message contains confidential and/or proprietary
information which may be subject to privilege or immunity and which
is intended for use of its addressee only. Should you receive this
message in error, you are kindly requested to inform the sender and
to definitively remove it from any paper or electronic format."