Re: SSI patch version 14 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: SSI patch version 14
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 25.01.2011 22:53, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas<heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com>  wrote:
>> On 25.01.2011 05:30, Kevin Grittner wrote:
>
>> The readme says this:
>>> 4. PostgreSQL supports subtransactions -- an issue not mentioned
>>>     in the papers.
>>
>> But I don't see any mention anywhere else on how subtransactions
>> are handled. If a subtransaction aborts, are its predicate locks
>> immediately released?
>
> No.  Here's the reasoning.  Within a top level transaction, you
> might start a subtransaction, read some data, and then decide based
> on what you read that the subtransaction should be rolled back.  If
> the decision as to what is part of the top level transaction can
> depend on what is read in the subtransaction, predicate locks taken
> by the subtransaction must survive rollback of the subtransaction.
>
> Does that make sense to you?

Yes, that's what I suspected. And I gather that all the data structures
in predicate.c work with top-level xids, not subxids. When looking at an
xid that comes from a tuple's xmin or xmax, for example, you always call
SubTransGetTopmostTransaction() before doing much else with it.

>  Is there somewhere you would like to
> see that argument documented?

README-SSI .