Re: SSI patch version 14 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: SSI patch version 14
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> On 25.01.2011 05:30, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> The readme says this:
>> 4. PostgreSQL supports subtransactions -- an issue not mentioned
>>    in the papers.
>
> But I don't see any mention anywhere else on how subtransactions
> are handled. If a subtransaction aborts, are its predicate locks
> immediately released?
No.  Here's the reasoning.  Within a top level transaction, you
might start a subtransaction, read some data, and then decide based
on what you read that the subtransaction should be rolled back.  If
the decision as to what is part of the top level transaction can
depend on what is read in the subtransaction, predicate locks taken
by the subtransaction must survive rollback of the subtransaction.
Does that make sense to you?  Is there somewhere you would like to
see that argument documented?
-Kevin