Re: back branches vs. VS 2008 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: back branches vs. VS 2008
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 01/03/2011 03:04 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Dave Page<dpage@pgadmin.org>  writes:
>>> Are you speaking for EDB on that?
>> He's not speaking *for* us, but he's absolutely right.
> OK, so what about the next question: is EDB running buildfarm members
> that will test the VS version(s) you are using?  I don't think Andrew
> is under any obligation to do that for you.

They have baiji (Vista/MSVC 2005 Pro) and mastodon (WS2K3R2/MSVC 2005
Express).

EDB have been pretty good about buildfarm support.

But more importantly, the buildfarm is about more than just "official
build platform" support. Suppose that you're running 8.4 in your
enterprise, and you want to run a patched Postgres, or one with an extra
module you wrote. You want to be able to build it with current tools, no
matter what the "official" builds are made with, and you don't want to
be forced to upgrade before you're ready.

cheers

andrew