Re: Understanding PG9.0 streaming replication feature - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Satoshi Nagayasu
Subject Re: Understanding PG9.0 streaming replication feature
Date
Re: Understanding PG9.0 streaming replication feature  (Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi Ben,

On 2010/12/22 7:46, Ben Carbery wrote:
> FYI, not looking for a detailed how to here.. I have read the manual twice and just can't figure which sections are
relevant.The manual seems to be trying to cover all uses simultaneously which is always going to get confusing :) For
exampledo I need I need WAL archiving or not?

My blog entry would be a good entry point for you.  :)

5 steps to implement a PostgreSQL replication system
http://pgsnaga.blogspot.com/2010/05/5-steps-to-implement-postgresql.html

It was written to be a guide for building a simple master-slave config.

Please take a look, including the comments.

Thanks,

On 2010/12/22 7:46, Ben Carbery wrote:
> FYI, not looking for a detailed how to here.. I have read the manual twice and just can't figure which sections are
relevant.The manual seems to be trying to cover all uses simultaneously which is always going to get confusing :) For
exampledo I need I need WAL archiving or not?

> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Ben Carbery <ben.carbery@gmail.com <mailto:ben.carbery@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I am having some trouble trying to figure out how to configure this particular scenario..
>
>     I have a pair of pg servers that I want to put in a Master/Standby configuration. Currently a script dumps the
masterdb every hour, copies it to the standby, restores, and restarts the server. The aim is to replace the
dumps/restoreswith streaming replication and ensure the standby is always up to date.

>     In this case writes are infrequent, but reads are constant, and I only need high availability for reads. I would
ideallylike both master and standby to be available simultaneously to allow load-balancing.
>     My confusion seems to be around the fact I don't need failover - my applications will detect a master down and
immediatelystart using the standby, so there is no need to allow writes on the standby, they will just wait for the
masterto be available again - I am not sure what the minimum config needed for this scenario is..

--
NAGAYASU Satoshi <satoshi.nagayasu@gmail.com>