Re: Looking for auto starting procedures - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: Looking for auto starting procedures
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/01/2010 11:16 PM, mabra@manfbraun.de wrote:

> The othing thing is, that I need some internally running procedures, which
> do some work. On Sql Server, I can use "auto-start stored procedures".
> Is there anything like this in postgresql, or what can I do?

There is no built-in scheduler at present. Use PgAgent.

There's been talk of integrating PgAgent into core, or at least some
enhancements to core to let it run without needing an external daemon.

> And, is it just possible, to put a message to the syslog and with
> my own identification string?

I'm not aware of a syslog module, but it'd be handy to have and it'd be
pretty simple to write as a C extension.

Usually people use 'RAISE NOTICE' to report to the database's logging.

--
Craig Ringer