Re: Why facebook used mysql ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Boreham
Subject Re: Why facebook used mysql ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 11/9/2010 11:36 AM, Sandeep Srinivasa wrote:

> If it is independent of the OS, then how does one go about tuning it.
>
> Consider this - I get a 12 core server on which I want multiple
> webserver instances + DB. Can one create CPU pools (say core 1,2,3 for
> webservers, 4,5,6,7 for DB, etc.) ?
>
> I know about taskset, but should one be using it ?

There are plenty of things you might do, but first you need to figure
out what problem you're solving.
I'd suggest deploying a relatively simple configuration then evaluate
its capacity under your workload.
Does it run fast enough? If so, then job done. If not then why not, and
so on...

The simplest configuration would be one web server instance and one DB
instance.

I don't think you should be looking at process partitioning and core
affinity unless you have already proved that
you have processes that don't scale over the cores you have, to deliver
the throughput you need.