Re: Why facebook used mysql ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Why facebook used mysql ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 4:12 PM, David Boreham <david_list@boreham.org> wrote:

> I don't think you should be looking at process partitioning and core
> affinity unless you have already proved that
> you have processes that don't scale over the cores you have, to deliver the
> throughput you need.

Note that you're likely to get FAR more out of processor affinity with
multiple NICs assigned each to its own core / set of cores that share
L3 cache and such.    Having the nics and maybe RAID controllers and /
or fibre channel cards etc on their own set of cores in one group can
make a big difference.

Processor affinity doesn't seem to make much difference for me with
pgsql.  Modern linux schendulers are pretty good at keeping things on
the same core for a while without predefined affinity.