Re: Porting from MS Access 2007 to PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Arnaud Lesauvage
Subject Re: Porting from MS Access 2007 to PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi Victor

Le 9/11/2010 5:22, Victor Hooi a écrit :
> Has anybody had any experiencing doing a similar port (Access 2007 to
> Postgres) recently, what tools did you use, were there any gotchas you hit
> etc? Or just any general advice at all here?

We recently migrated from MSAccess 2000 to PostgreSQL.
We used this great script :
http://www.rot13.org/~dpavlin/projects/sql/exportSQL3.txt
(I just realized it is mentionned in your second link)
We had to make some changes in the script. I think it was written for on
old PostgreSQL version, so some syntax did not come out right.
But the script is simple and works well.
It won't transfer constraints I think, but it will create all the DDL
queries and load all you data in PostgreSQL.
Name conversion works fine too.

> *5. Postgres Specific Features*
>
> The issue is we still need to maintain compatibility, where we can, with the
> Access frontend.

I can't really give you any advice about this, but we kept using Access
as our Frontend and everything runs fine.
You'll just have to make sure that you have read about the 'boolean <->
integer' problem. This article is a nice start I think :
http://www.postgresonline.com/journal/archives/24-Using-MS-Access-with-PostgreSQL.html

Good luck !
Arnaud