Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 7:19 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>> Robert Haas wrote:
>>> I kind of agree with Simon on this one, except I would probably choose
>>> to have just on and off and make on work like his auto.
>>>
>>> In other words, recovery_connections=on means, give me recovery
>>> connections if possible, otherwise don't worry about it.
>> If you're setting up a reporting server, and hot standby can't start,
>> the server is not functioning properly. I would like to get an error in
>> that case.
>
> Presumably you will actually try connecting to it, no?

Sure. I guess it would be acceptable if 'on' meant 'on, if possible', as
long as 'off' is the default. Otherwise it's too surprising.

> And what happens when someone changes the setting on the master from
> hot_standby back to archive?  I'd rather have the reporting server
> continue recovery without being able to accept connections rather than
> die in its tracks.

As the code stands, if wal_level is switched from 'hot_standby' to
'archive' in the primary, and it's restarted, the standby will die.
There is currently no way to stop to accepting read-only connections
once they're allowed. It could restart with connections disallowed, but
it needs a restart.