Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 7:19 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:

>>> If you're setting up a reporting server, and hot standby can't start,
>>> the server is not functioning properly. I would like to get an error in
>>> that case.
>>
>> Presumably you will actually try connecting to it, no?
>
> Sure. I guess it would be acceptable if 'on' meant 'on, if possible', as
> long as 'off' is the default. Otherwise it's too surprising.

I disagree.  I think on should mean 'on, if possible' and 'on' should
be the default.  I think that's how it was before this round of
changes - but maybe I'm mistaken?  It seems like it makes sense, at
any rate.

...Robert