Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date
Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct  (Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine@hi-media.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 7:19 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> Robert Haas wrote:
>> I kind of agree with Simon on this one, except I would probably choose
>> to have just on and off and make on work like his auto.
>>
>> In other words, recovery_connections=on means, give me recovery
>> connections if possible, otherwise don't worry about it.
>
> If you're setting up a reporting server, and hot standby can't start,
> the server is not functioning properly. I would like to get an error in
> that case.

Presumably you will actually try connecting to it, no?

And what happens when someone changes the setting on the master from
hot_standby back to archive?  I'd rather have the reporting server
continue recovery without being able to accept connections rather than
die in its tracks.

I think this is a problem that should be solved by monitoring, rather
than by automatically taking the server down.

...Robert