Re: CP949 for EUC-KR? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: CP949 for EUC-KR?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Takahiro Itagaki wrote:
> I heard pg_get_encoding_from_locale() failed in kor locale.
>
>     WARNING:  could not determine encoding for locale "kor": codeset is "CP949"
>
> I found the following description in the web:
>     CP949 is EUC-KR, extended with UHC (Unified Hangul Code).
>     http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/libiconv/libiconv-13.2/libiconv/lib/cp949.h
>
> but we define CP51949 for EUC-KR in chklocale.c.
>     {PG_EUC_KR, "CP51949"},        /* or 20949 ? */
>
> Which is the compatible codeset with our PG_EUC_KR encoding?
> 949, 51949, or 20949?

A bit of googling suggests that 51949 is indeed the Windows codepage
that's equivalent with EUC-KR.

> Should we add (or replace) CP949 for EUC-KR?

No. CP949 is not plain EUC-KR, but EUC-KR with some extensions (UHC). At
least on CVS HEAD, we recognize CP949 as an alias for the PostgreSQL
PG_UHC encoding. There's a significant difference between the two,
because PG_EUC_KR is supported as a server-encoding while PG_UHC is not.