Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Make CheckRequiredParameterValues() depend upon correct
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 6:49 PM, Heikki Linnakangas
> <heikki.linnakangas@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>> You need to change the error messages which refer to archive_mode,
>>> like the above.
>> Hmm, I think we should change not only the error message, but the logic
>> too. There's two related checks there:
>>
>>>       if (!XLogArchivingActive())
>>>               ereport(ERROR,
>>>                               (errcode(ERRCODE_OBJECT_NOT_IN_PREREQUISITE_STATE),
>>>                                errmsg("WAL archiving is not active"),
>>>                                errhint("archive_mode must be enabled at server start.")));
>>>
>>>       if (!XLogArchiveCommandSet())
>>>               ereport(ERROR,
>>>                               (errcode(ERRCODE_OBJECT_NOT_IN_PREREQUISITE_STATE),
>>>                                errmsg("WAL archiving is not active"),
>>>                                errhint("archive_command must be defined before "
>>>                                                "online backups can be made safely.")));
>> You can use streaming replication too to transport the WAL generated
>> during the backup, so I think we should just check that wal_mode>='archive'.
>
> It's OK in pg_start_backup(), but seems NG in pg_stop_backup() since
> it waits until some WAL files have been archived by the archiver. No?

Good point, that logic would need to be changed too. Should it simply
return immediately if archive_mode=off?

>>> + /*
>>> +  * For Hot Standby, the WAL must be generated with 'hot_standby' mode,
>>> +  * and we must have at least as many backend slots as the primary.
>>> +  */
>>> + if (InArchiveRecovery && XLogRequestRecoveryConnections)
>>> + {
>>> +   if (ControlFile->wal_mode < WAL_MODE_HOT_STANDBY)
>>> +       ereport(ERROR,
>>> +              (errmsg("recovery connections cannot start because
>>> wal_mode was not set to 'hot_standby' on the WAL source server")));
>>>
>>> This seems to always prevent the server from doing an archive recovery
>>> since wal_mode is expected to be WAL_MODE_ARCHIVE in that case.
>> No, it doesn't prevent archive recovery. It only prevents hot standby if
>> wal_mode was not 'hot_standby' in the master. I think you missed the "&&
>> XLogRequestRecoveryConnections" condition above.
>
> Even if we do only archive recovery, XLogRequestRecoveryConnections
> might be TRUE. Or we need to ensure that the recovery_connection is
> FALSE in the postgresql.conf before starting archive recovery?

Umm, yes, if you have recovery_connnections=on, it means you want hot
standby. And for that you need wal_mode='hot_standby'.

By "it doesn't prevent archive recovery" I meant "you can do traditional
archive recovery without hot standby". It doesn't matter how the WAL is
transported, via the archive or via streaming replication.