Re: Recent vendor SSL renegotiation patches break PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Recent vendor SSL renegotiation patches break PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
>> FWIW I think there's another problem with streaming replication here,
>> which is that most data flows from client to server, so it would take
>> quite some time for the threshold to be reached.  Note that there's no
>> size check in the libpq frontend code.  Normally this is not an issue
>> because the bulk of data is expected to flow in the other direction.
>
> Huh?  I thought the slaves connect to the master, rather than the other
> way round?

Correct, slave connects to the master.

Alvaro is pointing out that most data flows from client to server, like
in COPY FROM. But the server counts both in- and out-going data against
the renegotiation limit, so the server will initiate renegotiation just
fine in that case too.