Re: mailing list archiver chewing patches - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Matteo Beccati
Subject Re: mailing list archiver chewing patches
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 01/02/2010 10:26, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Does the MBOX importer support incremental loading? Because majordomo
> spits out MBOX files for us already.

Unfortunately the aoximport shell command doesn't support incremental

> One option could be to use SMTP with a subscription as the primary way
> (and we could set up a dedicated relaying from the mailserver for this
> of course, so it's not subject to graylisting or anything like that),
> and then daily or so load the MBOX files to cover anything that was
> lost?

I guess we could write a script that parses the mbox and adds whatever
is missing, as long as we keep it as a last resort if we can't make the
primary delivery a fail proof.

My main concern is that we'd need to overcomplicate the thread detection
algorithm so that it better deals with delayed messages: as it currently
works, the replies to a missing message get linked to the
"grand-parent". Injecting the missing message afterwards will put it at
the same level as its replies. If it happens only once in a while I
guess we can live with it, but definitely not if it happens tens of
times a day.

Cheers
--
Matteo Beccati