Re: mailing list archiver chewing patches - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: mailing list archiver chewing patches
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Matteo Beccati <php@beccati.com> writes:
> My main concern is that we'd need to overcomplicate the thread detection
> algorithm so that it better deals with delayed messages: as it currently
> works, the replies to a missing message get linked to the
> "grand-parent". Injecting the missing message afterwards will put it at
> the same level as its replies. If it happens only once in a while I
> guess we can live with it, but definitely not if it happens tens of
> times a day.

That's quite common unfortunately --- I think you're going to need to
deal with the case.  Even getting a direct feed from the mail relays
wouldn't avoid it completely: consider cases like
* A sends a message* B replies, cc'ing A and the list* B's reply to list is delayed by greylisting* A replies to B's
reply(cc'ing list)* A's reply goes through immediately* B's reply shows up a bit later

That happens pretty frequently IME.