Re: Commission clears Oracle's proposed acquisition of Sun Microsystems - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Gabriele Bartolini
Subject Re: Commission clears Oracle's proposed acquisition of Sun Microsystems
Date
Re: Commission clears Oracle's proposed acquisition of Sun Microsystems  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: Commission clears Oracle's proposed acquisition of Sun Microsystems  (Rob Napier <rob@doitonce.net.au>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Ciao,

David Fetter ha scritto:
> Sure does.

However, there are not many people who think like the EC about
PostgreSQL. Unfortunately, in Italy, the major IT online magazine has
only pointed out that Florian Muller thinks that PostgreSQL can't be a
valid alternative. Here is the original message
(http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=112003NN5V4G&full_skip=1):

"The EC's reasoning has to be reviewed when all the details of the
decision are known, but based on the EC's press release, it seems to be
a decision based on wishful thinking for the future more so than
anything else," Mueller said. "PostgreSQL has been around for decades
without having had its mainstream breakthrough, so the EC can't
seriously claim that PostgreSQL could replace MySQL as a competitive
force."

If PostgreSQL is based on "wishful thinking for the future", I don't
know what to think about MariaDB then.

I am about to comment that article in Italy - as it gives an unobjective
representation of PostgreSQL -, but I'd love to know if the PostgreSQL
community is thinking of a public announcement about this speculation on
PostgreSQL, following MySQL acquisition of Oracle. Maybe we should wait
next Wednesday when we will know more about the future of Oracle MySQL
(at least officially).

Any comments?

Ciao,
Gabriele